discover everything that influences espresso taste - and develop your personal brewing style
This half day class is for confident baristas who would like to learn more about the variables that can impact espresso and explore the effect this has on taste.
ESPRESSO CLASS will help you:
- Understand what excellent espresso tastes like
- Explore how origins, coffee profiles, processing & roasts influence espresso
- Gain an insight into espresso composition, brewing factors & variables
- Brew an espresso to achieve its sweet spot and develop a personal brewing style
The course in detail
Part 1: Tasting
- Origins & coffee profiles – Exploring the differences between a blend and single origin and how the country of origin impacts the flavour profile
- Processing & roasting – Identify different processing and
roasting methods to understand the effect they have on the flavour of the
- Tasting of espresso – What is it and how to identify and
articulate flavour descriptors taking aroma and taste into account
Part 2: Brewing variables
- Grind, dose, level & tamp – gain an understanding of these brewing variables controlled by the barista to create your preferred espresso
- Water temperature, water pressure, water volume – exploring other parameters that
can impact taste and extraction
- Extraction Time/Weight – experimenting with alternative methods of extraction
Start and finish
This is a half day course starting at 10.00am and finishing at 3.00pm. There's a 30 or 40 minute break for lunch. (We don't provide lunch, but there's always somewhere nearby to grab a sandwich.)
Free for Matthew Algie customers.
£105(+VAT)/ €130 for everyone else.
That's right. It really is free if you're a customer; all you'll have to pay for is travel and a spot of lunch.
If you're not a customer yet, you can still come along for just £105 (+VAT)/€130. Or book any three courses for just £210 (+VAT)./€260.
Availability for this course